Thursday 16 January 2014

I PASSED!

The unthinkable has happened!
I passed 1.2 - Metabolic Disorders! I passed biochem!
It was a lousy 70%, but I'm still eligible for cum laudes!
I'm so happy!


Also, I'm sorry for my month-long absence. After my biochem exams, I just had to take advantage of the winter break, and ever since classes started again, I've been really busy with Radiology, Gross Anatomy and Physical Examination.
All three are quite nice. I scored a 100% on a Radiology bonus point test already, so I'm quite certain that I'll be alright for the final exam. Gross anatomy labs are awesome, but they'll start to wear you down after 7 days or so. But they're very useful.
Physical examination (PE) was quite awesome as well. We didn't really go at it like real doctors - it seemed like they were giving us a chance to get used to the fact that your classmates would look and touch your nearly-bare body.
We sought for some superficial structures and marked them on our dummies' bodies where we thought them to be. After that, we were allowed to check on some structures of the neck using ultrasound.
I'm bound by the Hippocratic Oath to not divulge information about what we found or about what happened during PE, so I won't be able to tell you anything about that. Anyone who breaks the oath through gossiping about what he/she found in another student/simulation patient during PE practice must leave medical school.
But I'll assure you that, although I did feel slightly exposed, I had a safe feeling to go with it, although that may come from my background in some contact-heavy sports. I've mock-wrestled people of all sizes and genders, so some physical contact isn't all that unusual to me. I can assume that this might be different to other students, especially females with a background story or with certain religious beliefs. But my school has tried to make PE practices as safe and comfortable as possible, and I could certainly see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment