Thursday 11 February 2016

Oh Tumblr..

I might just love you. Really.

I was taking a break from studying (seriously, sometimes I just want to run away from med school and spend the rest of my days lazing around beneath a palm tree, drinking yummy cocktails and ogling pretty handsome guys..), and I decided to spend some time on Tumblr.

 
Link

My Graves' Disease isn't making things easy for me at the moment - med school is hard enough even without a chronic illness to drag you down, but add the constant alertness for any signs of an infection*, depression, body image issues and everything that comes hand-in-hand with Graves' Disease, and you're in for a rough ride.


It doesn't help that I'm stupid and stubborn and have insane Asian Tiger Parents, so I signed up for a weird rule which entails that so long as I pass all of my exams in one go - no retakes allowed - I'll move on to my clinical rotations straight away, with almost no time in between the bachelor and master phase. (EU med school: Yrs 1-3 (bachelor phase) are comparable to US MS1-MS2, Yrs 4-6 (master phase) are comparable to US MS3-MS4, the clinical rotations)

Fail one exam, and I'll have to wait for 1 year in between my bachelor and master phase.

Either way, I was spending some time on Tumblr, and because I'm currently dealing with depression, I figured, "Why not see if Tumblr has something on depression that I can relate to?"
I was not disappointed. Tumblr gave me this:
 
Tumblr, I love you.

It's a really tiny gesture, and it's probably really easy to write up some code for this to happen. Yet, tiny gestures like this can mean a lot to people who have a lot on their plate. It makes someone's day more bearable.
So if you see someone who looks like he/she might be having a hard time, don't hesitate to do something for them. Tiny things such as asking if they're okay, giving them hot chocolate or giving them a hug might help, lots.
Some stubborn donkeys (like me) might continue to act like nothing's wrong, but still.. It might help. ;)

*Antithyroid drugs + signs of infection such as fever and sore throat means I have to drop everything and hurry to the hospital to get my blood checked, because it might mean that I'm going to die if the antithyroid drugs destroyed my white blood cell count and the infection is caught too late.
Talk about stress..

1 comment: