Wednesday 22 August 2012

But I'm so poor..!

Nearly every college student deals with this.
In 1.5 week, I'm starting college, and my wallet is already empty.
I still have to find myself a job which will allow me to earn a pretty penny while also allowing me to ace this year.
I have to pay for self defense classes.
No one is buying my beaded works. I have not yet bought any school books, save for The Sobotta (which still cost €100+).
I still have to buy a lab coat and 8 other books if I substitute the Dutch anatomy book with the Sobotta.
I'm poor.

The tuition fees for any EEA student is approx. €1.700/year, depending on what you're studying.
If you don't happen to be an EEA student, you're out of luck, you're paying the whole deal. Prices range from €2.800 to €25.000. (Med school is €15.000 up to €35.000, by the way)
Because I'm an EEA student, I'm paying €1.771, while our government pays the rest.
As long as I don't screw up or take 3 years to get into med school, I'll keep paying €1.771/year until I finish my MSc.

Aside from paying tuition fees, we also have to pay insurances, food, housing and anything which goes with it. Oh, and did I mention books?

I searched around for the books I would need for my first year.
And boy, did it scare me.
Here's the list.


Sesam atlas van de anatomie 1 21/E Bewegingsapparaat(Sesam atlas of anatomy)€ 33,90

Essential Cell Biology
€ 57,83


Woordenboek geneeskunde en Biomedische wetenschappen E-N-E(Dictionary Medicines & Biomedical Sciences, English-Dutch/Dutch-English)
€ 54,95


Lab Coat
€ 32,50


Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology with MasteringA&P
€ 59.98


The Immune System
€ 50,90


Environmental Science
€ 45,10


Epidemiologisch onderzoek opzet en interpretatie(Epidemiological research)
€ 74,95


Inleiding in de toegepaste biostatistiek (Introduction to bio stats)
€ 57,50


Brock Biology of Microorganisms
€ 76,99


The ones in italic are the ones I might not need to buy, as I managed to substitute them. Or I found them on the internet.
I only found 2(!) books in PDF on the net.

Either way, this adds up to a stunning €544.. And this is only the first year.
It's even worse for Med School. A friend told me he had to pay €1500 for his books, first year. Ouch?
He also told me a bookshelf filled with books, along with an empty wallet, is way nicer than a filled pocket and .PDF files on your lappie. (I agree!)

By the time I finish med school, I'll have used up at least €100.000,- (God bless the government for paying for my education), which I might have to pay back, with rent. Yay, economical crisis.


Why are those books so expensive anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment